Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wilderness Writing Expedition for High School Adventurers

White Water Rafting on the Ocoee River by whitneynmatt


From Idaho: a contest for high school juniors and seniors to win a writing and rafting trip on the Lower Salmon river. To enter, you write two pages about an adventure, dream or memory. Twelve winners will get the combined writing and nature adventure to inspire them to write.

Submission deadline: July 11, 2008
Trip: August 10-17, 2008

Wow. This is exactly the kind of thing I'd have been terrified to do as a teen, sure I'd fall in and drown the first day, ruining the trip for everyone.

Mostly I stayed safely inside with my pudgy nose crammed in a book. But this contest, it makes me wish I was athletic and seventeen. I was never the former. Actually I went tourist rafting on the Snake River when I was about fifteen, so overweight teens, go for it. I had a blast.

No comments: