Sunday, March 16, 2008

NIPW - It's Over. I'm Sad

I'm home from Kentucky. This workshop has been one of the best experiences I've had as a writer. The level of writing the participants exhibited was extraordinary. I was amazed at the variety of "novels in progress" at the workshop. Mind boggling!

I have some work to do to finish my synopsis, so I can get it in the mail to two of the agents I talked with this week. And let me just say again (kiss, kiss) how awesome they were.

For all of you planning pitches in the coming months, let me just say this. It's your novel, you wrote it, so therefore you know it better than anyone. Don't try and memorize your pitch. It will come out sounding forced. Instead talk about your book from your heart and head. You know your characters, give them their due. These agents are people just like you and I. And if you pitch to one and she doesn't like it, it's not the end of the world. There are more agents out there. Oh, and another thing. When you pitch, take a breath now and again. Give the agent an opportunity to say something.

If they tell you it's not for them, then thank them for their time and move on. Don't argue.

No comments: