Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Writing Acronyms - Fiction and Freelance

Last month I posted a primer on novel writing acronyms. Now Linda Formichelli at The Renegade Writer has posted a helpful list of freelance writing acronyms and linked to my fiction acronym list.

I hadn't seen some on her list, so I'm linking back for all my fellow writers who are also writing freelance. My original fiction writing acronyms post is below. FYI - NaNoWriMo is fast approaching! Start your finger physical therapy so you don't strain anything, and sign up for the craziness of writing a novel in a month.

Original Post:

When I first started participating in online writing activities, I noticed a strange secret code in effect. I knew many of the acronyms used in chat - like LOL and such. But novel writing has its own special acronyms, so I thought I'd share some I've learned. I know I've forgotten some, so if you notice any I missed, remind me in the comments and I'll add them to the list.

  • WIP - Work in Progress (Your current writing project, usually a novel)
  • MC - Main Character
  • POV - Point of View
  • ARC - Advanced Reader Copy (The copies authors and reviewers receive before the book is actually available to the public)
  • HEA - Happily Ever After (Used by romance genre to indicate a happy ending)
  • HFN - Happy For Now (The characters end up together, but no indication it's a forever relationship)
  • H/H - Hero/Heroine (A couple in a romance novel)
  • M/F - Male/Female (Romance between a male and female character)
  • GLB - Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual
  • het - Heterosexual
  • YA - Young Adult
  • SF - Science Fiction
  • NanNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month (Participants who join this website complete a 50,000 word novel in a month, toiling along with their fellow writers: November 1 - November 30th).

No comments: