Saturday, November 3, 2007

Seeking Stories from Over Forty Group - Midlife Success

Second Wind Stories is seeking essays about love and business success after 40.

Authors selected will equally divide seventy percent of the advance money the editors receive, minus agent commission. It sounds like they will be shopping the project, so I don't know if payment is guaranteed - and I'm not sure what a typical anthology advance is or how many stories they will be using. The typical first book advance is 5,000 to 10,000- but I don't know if that applies to anthologies.

Let me try a worst case scenario: Advance = $5,000

15% Agent Commission $750 -

Total $4250

70% of Total = $2975/40 authors =$74

Disclaimer - I am not a math person, and I'm not sure I'm correctly calculating how agent commission is deducted. Bascially, I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing. But if I was submitting a story, I'd go based on my own weird calculations. More authors = less money. More advance = more money. Plus, you get published.

It doesn't sound like you'd get much less than the typical $100 usually paid to anthology authors, and you might get more. But the explanation is vague enough that I don't know. Just FYI.

There are email addresses for more questions: Success@secondwindstories.com and Love@secondwindstories.com. If anyone finds out more, you might want to post it in the comments.

No comments: