Friday, May 23, 2008

Building Your Author Website

Once you get your book published, you'll need a phenomenal website to help publicize it. I've been lusting after the websites done by Authorbytes. They do online publicity for authors, including website design.

You can set up your own website before you get published, but once you get your contract signed and your advance deposited, I recommend investing in a professionally designed website.

I love the ones Authorbytes did for Doreen Orion's book Queen of the Road and Sam Walker's Fantasyland. They do sites for both fiction and nonfiction authors. Check out their portfolio to see more examples. I'm betting they're pretty pricey, though. They've done websites for some uber famous authors.

If you can't afford one of theirs, they recommend checking out the author website templates at Authorsguild.net, but you have to join the guild. Dues are $90 per year. Check out this example from children's author Toby Speed. Looks professional, heh?

Plan for promotion!

5 comments:

Doreen Orion said...

Just wanted to add, that in addition to fabulous websites, the folks at Authorbytes happen to be very nice and extremely helpful. (But most of all, yes, I LOVE my website!)

All I told them was that I wanted it to reflect my book - to be fun and wacky. That I had seen other humorous authors' websites and while the material posted on them was funny, the site itself wasn't fun. I challenged them that there would be nothing they could do too over the top. I'm thrilled with the result. Thanks for mentioning it!

zeldadg said...

I LOVE your website too. It looks like they really pay attention to what the author wants.

Your book also looks like crazy american-style fun. I look forward to reading it when it comes out.

Doreen Orion said...

Thanks so much! (And since I neglected to mention the pub date - it's June 3rd.) My great Authorbytes site also lists all my book tour stops for "readings, signings, and royal shtick" so please check it out to see if I'm in your area. I'd love to say hello.

Anonymous said...

Why wait until your book gets published? Independent authors are building audiences even before they have completed writing their novels, and many are using audio to develop a loyal following from the outset. TableRappers is a prime example of a first-time novel building an audience way ahead of appearing in print.

zeldadg said...

I'll be sure to check it out, Doreen. I'd love to pick your brain about publicity.

NDixon, your site looks impressive too. You're right about getting the built-in audience. Thanks for the link.